HOW WE DO IT
The First Years of a Child's Life Last Forever
According to brain development research, the relationship between parent and child in the baby's first years are of vital importance and set the foundation for the child's emotional and mental health throughout his or her entire life.
Child, Home & Community (CHC) believes these first years are the key to our mission - "Building a better future for the children of teen parents, the most vulnerable parents in our communities."
- "Childbirth and Newborn Care Class" is a 12-week prenatal program taught by trained instructors for pregnant teens, fathers-to-be, and their families. The program is specifically designed for adolescents to prepare them for the physical and emotional changes during pregnancy. The goal of the program is to ensure prenatal health care and increase the opportunity for healthy pregnancies and births.
- "Parent Support Class" Teen Parent Support Group is also administered by trained instructors and case managers and is offered on a monthly basis as a continuum for our clients and their children. This program offers personal, professional and peer support. The goal of the program is to teach parenting skills and coordinate access to other community resources.
- "Road To Independence" offers one-on-one meetings, group sessions, workshops, field trips, and job "shadowing." Our Career Counselor helps students assess their interests and skills; define career objectives; and plan for post- high school education. The Road to Independence program also helps students improve their decision making skills and make any changes needed to achieve their educational and career goals.
Because a teen parent's needs are unique, high school teachers and school counselors are not prepared to offer the intensive and specialized career counseling that RTI provides. These young moms and dads – who usually lack family support -- gain the confidence and tools that they need to plan for a successful future for themselves and their babies. The Road To Independence curriculum is specifically geared to these high school students who are balancing school and parenthood.
- "School-Based Programs" are individually developed to meet the needs of pregnant and parenting teens while they are still in school. The program provides individual and group education and support during the school day. The goal of the program is not only to help during the time pregnancy but to ensure the teens stay in school and graduate, and to provide job assessment skills and/or placement in continuing education or job training programs. The Road to Independence provides workshops and support to prepare for employment & training.
- "Fatherhood Initiative" Children Need Fathers, CHC's Fatherhood Initiative is designed to meet the needs of teen fathers and to support and encourage an active role in raising their child.
Our goals are as follows:
- To increase the awareness of the importance of fathers in the lives of their children
- To encourage parental responsibility
- To establish paternity
- To strengthen families.
- "Teen Parent Awareness: Fact & Fiction" is a community outreach prevention program to area middle and high schools. This decision making program is offered to non-pregnant teens, giving them an eye-opening view of the reality of pregnancy and parenting and the risks and responsibilities associated with sexual activity. The goal of this program is to dispel and romantic illusions of parenthood and to motivate teens to make decisions to prevent pregnancy.
Make a tax-deductible gift to Child, Home & Community and support our free childbirth classes, parent support groups, Road To Independence program and other advocacy services for prenant and parenting teens throughout Bucks & Montgomery Counties at dozens of locations.
CHC's programs have been developed to meet the unique needs of at-risk pregnant/parenting teens and their babies. Our programs pay off and benefit the entire community!
- Full-term pregnancies
- Healthy birthweights
- Fewer subserquent pregnancies
- Knowledge of child development
- Good parenting skills
- Completion of high school
- Post-graducation plan for school or work
- Improved family stability
- Economic self-sufficiency
- Increased self-esteem
Investing Today = A Stronger Community Tomorrow